City Limits rounds up the latest housing and land use-related events, public hearings and upcoming affordable housing lotteries that are ending soon.
Welcome to City Limits’ NYC Housing Calendar, a weekly feature where we round up the latest housing and land use-related events and hearings, as well as upcoming affordable housing lotteries that are ending soon. If you know of an event we should include in next week’s calendar, email email@example.com.
To get more resources like this as well as our latest reporting on local housing issues, sign up for City Limits’ Mapping the Future newsletter here.
Upcoming Housing and Land Use-Related Events:
- Thursday, Nov. 3 at 11 a.m.: Council Members Carlina Rivera, Pierina Sanchez, and Gale Brewer will join The Coalition to End Apartment Warehousing on the steps of City Hall to call for landlord accountability over rent-stabilized apartments sitting vacant.
- Thursday, Nov. 3 at 12 p.m.: Elected officials, advocates and New Yorkers experiencing homelessness rally at D’Emic Playground, at 3rd Avenue & 34th Street in Brooklyn to demand the city and state act to address homelessness among New York City students. To learn more about the rising number of homeless students, read City Limits’ coverage.
- Friday, Nov. 4 at 9 to 10 a.m.: The New York Law School hosts the next installment in its virtual CityLaw Breakfast Series, featuring Brendan McGuire, counsel to New York City Mayor Eric Adams. McGuire will discuss homelessness and the needs of asylum-seekers arriving in New York City. To RSVP contact Ariel.Dvorkin@nyls.edu. Videos are uploaded to the NYLS website following each event.
- Saturday, Nov. 5 at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: HPD is holding the St. Barbara’s Housing Fair in Brooklyn, providing assistance with NYC Housing Connect and SCRIE/DRIE applications. More here.
- Saturday, Nov. 5 at 12 to 4 p.m.: Kingsbridge residents, elected officials and community groups will convene for the first “Kingsbridge Armory Visioning Workshop” at the PS 340 Annex, across the street from the Kingsbridge Armory. For more information about the workshops or to learn more about Together for Kingsbridge/Juntos para Kingsbridge, visit kingsbridgetogether.com.
- Sunday, Nov. 6 at 10 a.m.: City Limits Deputy Editor David Brand talks with Freedom Agenda Co-Director Darren Mack about the plan to close Rikers jails and efforts to provide housing for formerly incarcerated New Yorkers on the radio show City Watch on WBAI 99.5 FM. Listen live on the air or online here.
- Monday, Nov. 7 at 1 p.m.: The NYC Planning Commission is holding a review session that will be livestreamed. More here.
- It’s Election Day! Go out and vote.
- Wednesday, Nov. 9 at 10 a.m.: The NYC Planning Commission is holding a public meeting to vote on several land use proposals. More here.
NYC Affordable Housing Lotteries Ending Soon
The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) are closing lotteries on the following subsidized buildings over the next week.
- 391 Hooper Street Apartments, Brooklyn, for households earning $92,915 – $187,330
- 1110 Dekalb Avenue, Brooklyn, for households earning $74,709 – $156,130
- 1010 Bedford Avenue & 263 Skillman Street Apartments, Brooklyn, for households earning $93,532 – $215,150
- 597 Marcy Avenue Apartments, Brooklyn, for households earning $62,675 – $187,330
- 29-19 Newtown Avenue, Astoria, for households earning $60,000 – $187,330