The Games for Change Public Arcade celebrates the positive power of play with games that are not only fun, but also “do good;” They are designed for learning, health, and positive social impact.
Highlights from the Public Arcade include zynga.org (creator of Farmville and Words with Friends), and the New York City premiere of The Go Game’s Zombies vs Superheroes: a disaster preparedness simulation game where participants can learn practical survival skills while escaping real-world “zombies.” The game is free with RSVP: www.thegogame.com/zombie-nyc
Other games that attendees will be able to play include:
• Come Out & Play is returning to the public arcade with four live-action games that bring cooking to life in fun for the whole family. Play harried short order cooks, compete to make the perfect stew and bounce your way to smoothie culinary fame.
• co.lab, a San Francisco-based gaming incubator, is presented at the Games for Change Arcade with support by Zynga.org, offering games from CodeMonkey,codeSpark, Mathbreakers, Piper, and StoryToys.
• Visit the Global Gaming Initiative to play any of their three featured games: Sidekick Cycle, Winning Kick, Outbreak Responder
• The American University Game Lab will show a collection of games made by students and faculty including a math education game, an affection game, a news game, and an art game.
• Adopt your very own virtual polar bear with HABITAT THE GAME. Take him fishing, give him love and keep him alive by undertaking environmental challenges.
• Pallas of Vines is a game about creative performance, where players can make and transform music and visuals inside a lush world. Players are invited to pick up an iPhone and use the tilt sensor as a remote control to move through the game, discovering how their movements can affect the sights and sounds around
• Common Sense offers a suite of educational games and tools to promote digital literacy and citizenship for kids and families including their newest educational game, Digital Compass. A choose your own adventure interactive experience where kids can explore digital dilemmas, make good (and no-so-good) decisions, and try out possible solutions through stories and mini-games, all without risking their real-world reputations.