- This event has passed.
Sexy Secrets of the Metropolitan Museum
June 25, 2017 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$59
Great art is full of hidden meanings—and more often than not, they’re all about sex. Broken eggs symbolizing lost virginity…a lute standing in for a man’s desires … a lady’s slack shoulder strap suggesting adultery… Of course, polite society rarely allowed sex to be presented explicitly. But throughout the centuries, artists have used sly suggestions and concealed codes to sneak around society’s rules, leaving future generations magnificent works whose double meanings are waiting to be discovered.
Join us on this tour of the Metropolitan Museum that shows how artists snuck sex past the censors—to the delight of their audiences. You’ll learn about:
– The sex taboos of ancient Greece (so different from our own!)
– How the Renaissance brought desire back into plain sight
– The Bible as a source for moral instruction…and erotic imagery
– Paintings that warned against vice—by depicting vice!
– And artists who risked their careers by depicting scandalous themes
And you’ll see things that you never imagined existed in art. From crazed women worshiping the god Bacchus to Parisian prostitutes on their work break, the Metropolitan is a treasure house of art works that tell us so much about sex, desire and what it means to be human.