The objective of this event is to initiate the development of robust industry- wide guidelines on protecting women working in the media against sexualized and/or gendered cyber violence. Invited speakers, will highlight examples of best practices for handling hate and threats towards female journalists from the perspective of media houses and organizations.
• Dr. Michelle Ferrier, founder of TrollBusters.com, a just-in-time rescue service for women writers and journalists experiencing online harassment
• Dr. Dubravka Šimonović, UN Special Rapporteur on violence against women
• Colleen Lowe Morna, CEO, Gender Links of South Africa
• Jennifer Adams, Project Officer for Safety of Female Journalists Online (#SOFJO), Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media
• Moderator: Sheila Dallas-Katzman, IAWRT main representative for the UN
WHEN: Friday, 16th March 2018 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 Noon
WHERE: United Nations Church Centre – 777 UN Plaza, 10th Fl, NY
Cyber-violence against women working in media (Cyber-VAW-WIM) is a particular area of concern for the realization of the objectives of the Beijing Platform for Action: ending violence against women and enhancing women’s representation in and access to the media become closely intertwined. Yet, despite growing evidence and acknowledgment of the threats sexualized and/or gendered cyber violence poses for media pluralism, and despite the fact that working online is a vital part of every journalist’s life in the contemporary media landscape, most media houses & organizations do not have formal policies on protecting their female employees against cyber violence. We want to change this!
HOW: For interviews or additional information please contact Nancy Cohen at 917-957-6349