- This event has passed.
CENTER FOR HEARING AND COMMUNICATION & CARINGKIND HOST SPECIAL CONFERENCE: “HEARING LOSS, DEMENTIA AND HEALTHY AGING: AUDIOLOGIST AS GATEKEEPER?”
May 11, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 5:30 pm$25 – $75
Audiologists, related professionals and graduate students in audiology and related professions are invited to
a conference hosted by the Center for Hearing and Communication and CaringKind. “Hearing Loss, Dementia and Healthy Aging: Audiologist as Gatekeeper?” is funded, in part, by Oticon, Signia, CaptionCall and CapTel.
New York City’s leading expert on Alzheimer’s and dementia caregiving for more than three decades, was formerly known as the Alzheimer’s Association, New York City Chapter. The Center for Hearing and Communication provides unsurpassed hearing health care for infants, children, and adults with hearing loss and auditory challenges (such as auditory processing disorder or APD).
As the dementia crisis deepends, audiologists have the unique opportunity to act as gatekeepers for older adults who are at risk for Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. This conference will teach participants to identify who’s at risk, communicate with individuals in all stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia, implement best practices, and connect them with the proper resources for diagnosis and care. Presenters include:
• Dr. Josh Chodosh, M.D., M.S.H.S., F.A.C.P., Michael L. Freedman Professor of Geriatric Research in Medicine, Director, Freedman Research Program on Aging and Cognition, Professor of Medicine and Population Health, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Palliative Care, NYU School of Medicine;
• Anne Foerg, LMSW. Director of Social Work, CaringKind;
• Kathy Pichora-Fuller, Ph.D. Department of Psychology, University of Toronto in Mississauga;
• Barbara Weinstein, Ph.D., Professor & Founding Executive Director of the Doctor of Audiology Program, Graduate Center, CUNY; Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine at NYU Langone Medical Center;
• Amy Torres, Director of Training, CaringKind; and
• Ellen Lafargue, Au.D., Co-Director, Shelley and Steven Einhorn Audiology and Communication Centers, CHC
RSVP by May 5, 2017.