Finding fresh, affordable, locally grown food in the Bronx this summer is becoming as easy as ordering a double bacon cheeseburger at a drive-through window.
City-wide, local farm programs, GrowNYC and Just Food, are combining to offer ten different farmer's markets locations in the Bronx.
Throughout Bronx neighborhoods, the farmer's markets have annually provided residents with fresh fruits, vegetables and other healthy produce grown by regional farmers.
In addition to providing fresh food in neighborhoods which lack abundant choices of healthy produce, farmer's markets promote interaction between the community and farmers. Farmers and vendors are great sources for tips and ideas for the novice chef or urban farmer.
One teen-run market in Morisania will be offering workshops, free to the public, on nutrition and healthy eating through cooking demos and take-home pamphlets. The market is part of GrowNYC's “Learn It, Grow It, Eat It” hands-on urban agriculture and nutrition youth program.
In a borough where obesity and diabetes have become prominent fears among children, farmer's markets provide a novel dietary selection that is both healthy and hands-on. The response has only lead to an increase in vendors and patrons.
Although, some markets did not return this year – such as the Botanical Garden Metro North parking lot market – new sites have sprouted up. A new market now occupies Montefiore Medical Center's courtyard, on Thursday's, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A full description of the market can be found here.
- New York Botanical Gardens, 2900 Southern Blvd., Wednesdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., June 16 to November 24
- Bronx Borough Hall, Grand Concourse and 158 Street, Tuesdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., June 29 to November 23
- Montefiore Medical Center, 1055 East Tremont Ave., Thursdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Lincoln Hospital, Grand Concourse and 149 Street, Tuesdays and Fridays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., June 29 to November 23
- Poe Park, 3309 Bainbridge Ave., Tuesdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Tuesdays, July 6 to November 23
- Hunt's Point, 355 Food Drive Center, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8:30 – to 5 p.m., June 23 to November 13
- La Familia Verde, 2007 Mapes Ave., Tuesdays, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., July 13 to November 11
- The Market at Bissel Gardens, Castle Hill and Westchester Square, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., July 17 to November 13
- Mott Haven Farmers Market, Saint Anne's Ave and East 139th, Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., July 7 to November 3
- Taqwa Community Farm-stand, 90 West and 164th, Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 4p.m., July 3 to November 13
- Harvest Home West Farmer's Market, 153 East 104th, Wednesdays 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., July 7 to November 17