Public Engagement Unit
Senior Computer Programmer
Computer Programmer Analyst
The Public Engagement Unit is recruiting two (2) Senior Computer Programmers to support users of the Public Engagement Unit. The Computer Programmer will help support a team of almost 200 staff and be a member of the PEU’s IT support group, reporting jointly to HRA MIS and to the Public Engagement Unit’s IT Operations Manager. The NYC Public Engagement Unit (PEU) identifies and executes proactive strategies to connect more New Yorkers to key city services. Relying heavily on data analytics, new technologies, and large-scale outreach tactics, the unit identifies New Yorkers in need of assistance and helps them navigate and obtain city services.
The Public Engagement Unit consists of teams of specialists who are trained to effectively engage New Yorkers and connect them with vital resources. The Unit uses data to identify demographics that likely want or need city services; and works with partner agencies, elected officials, community groups, non-profit organizations, and service providers to engage directly with communities and subject matter experts in all five boroughs. The unit is frequently involved in citywide events, special projects in conjunction with multiple city agencies, and targeted days of action.
PEU’s specialists use desktops, mobile phones, laptops, iPad and other equipment to complete their functions, and are supported by teams focused on community engagement, data analytics, policy and operations. The Computer Programmer will be part of a support team within PEU’s Operations group and will work closely with HRA MIS and both desktop and mobile support, reporting to an IT Manager.
Successful candidates should be comfortable supporting users on a variety of platforms, and should have a nuanced understanding of cloud-based data. They should have good customer service as well as technical skills. Candidates should have demonstrated ability to creatively problem-solve and diligently follow through on resolving issues. They should be team players, detail-oriented and organized and have the ability to multi-task. Users are both on Windows and IOS platforms and have access to a variety of software, from statistical analytics to an internally developed CRM and Microsoft Office. Knowledge of VPN software and practical understanding of problems it can pose.
Willingness to work overtime and support a team that works until 6:30PM and on Saturdays is a plus.
- The selected candidate will perform ongoing technical service functions in programming, maintaining, monitoring, troubleshooting, repairing or replacing peripherals and/or related software in support of Enterprise Networking Technology (ENT) Technology Deployment.
- Provide initial review and summary of problems faced by users, reporting to management about patterns or common issues.
- Communicate with MIS staff and users to help streamline problem resolution and organize
- Ability to work independently and participate as a member of one or more software development or project teams charged with developing and maintaining enterprise applications using a variety of software development technologies in a Microsoft Windows and/or Red hat Linux environment on different mobile device platforms such as IOS, Android, etc.
- Closely track the short and long-term progress of issue resolution.
- Maintain the highest level of data security and confidentiality when dealing with protected information and data.
- Document and interpret technical approaches to solutions for agency and technical requirements for software development.
- Compile weekly reports based on issues faced and progress, providing ongoing status of problems resolution.
- Prepare user technical documentation for the implementation, support and running of new/required skills.
- Resolving user issues with respect to mobile devices, wireless plans, or connectivity.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester credits in computer science or a related computer field; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus (3) years of satisfactory fulltime computer programming experience; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and experience that is equivalent to (1) or (2) above. College education may be substituted for up to one year of the experience required in (2) above on the basis that sixty (60) semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. In addition, twenty-four (24) credits from an accredited college or graduate school in computer science or a related computer field, or a certificate of at least 625 hours in computer programming from an accredited technical school (post high school) may be substituted for one year of experience. However, all candidates who attempt to qualify under option (3) must have at least a four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and at least (1) year of satisfactory full-time computer programming experience.
Some examples of unacceptable experience are: End users of a computer system, program or software package; experience in the areas of end user computer technical support, computer operations, data entry/data retrieval, quality assurance (QA); end user hardware installation; end user help desk; teaching, telecommunications, experience in Microsoft Office Suite/Back Office products.
One year of experience with technical support in an office environment.
- Experience and knowledge of mobile device management and deployment.
- Ability to provide customer service to staff of varying technical understanding and from beginners to experts.
- Understanding of field work and the problems faced when using mobile devices in the field.
- Patience and a “roll up your sleeves” attitude toward problem solving.
- Familiarity with New York City government, public health issues, health insurance enrollment, housing issues, social services and a commitment to helping others is preferred.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Salary Range: $55,637 - $65,000 (Annual)
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov and search for Job ID #282395 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW.
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.