Public Engagement Unit
Senior Computer Programmer
Computer Programmer Analyst
The NYC Public Engagement Unit is seeking an IT Operations Manager. The NYC Public Engagement Unit (PEU) identifies and executes proactive strategies to connect more New Yorkers to key city services. Relying heavily on data analytics, new technologies, and large-scale outreach tactics, the unit identifies New Yorkers in need of assistance and helps them navigate and obtain city services.
The Public Engagement Unit consists of teams of specialists who are trained to effectively engage New Yorkers and connect them with vital resources. The Unit uses data to identify demographics that likely want or need city services; and works with partner agencies, elected officials, community groups, non-profit organizations, and service providers to engage directly with communities and subject matter experts in all five boroughs. The unit is frequently involved in citywide events, special projects in conjunction with multiple city agencies, and targeted days of action.
Under supervision of the Operations Director, the IT Operations Manager will be a key member of the Operations team. The Operations team provides support for all units at PEU, including HR, budget, facilities, procurement, IT & telecomm, serving as both an internal and external resource. The IT Operations Manager will be the unit’s point on IT related issues, including hardware, software and mobile devices (including telecommunications). The Manager will supervise 2 IT analysts, who will work to support the unit’s day- to day functions.
The IT Operations Manager’s responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Build strong relationships with DSS/HRA MIS Technology and DSS/HRA’s Office of
Data Security to coordinate partnership and ongoing support of our technologies.
- Work closely with the unit’s Data Analytics team to ensure that IT equipment and
technology support short- and long-term programmatic needs.
- Be responsible for inventory and maintenance of Unit’s technology portfolio.
- Understand and evaluate citywide technology policies as established and
disseminated by DoITT.
- Oversee all of Unit’s IT operations: coordinating internally, as well as with external
- Work with the Operations Director and DSS to manage the annual IT budget and
software license renewals; support the development and evaluation of
- Provide end-to-end support for the unit, including developing protocols for issue
isolation and identification and resolution, and developing incident reports.
- Provide timely reports and updates to senior staff; inform management and
relevant colleagues of IT issues that risk impacting program operations.
- Provide logistical and technical support of technology infrastructure, hardware,
and software, data security to support existing and new programmatic functions.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- A master's degree in computer science from an accredited college and three years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience using information technology in computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, database administration, planning of data/information processing, user services, or area networks at least 18 months of this experience must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration, or planning of data processing or in the supervision of staff performing these duties; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of experience as described in "1" above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or recognized accrediting organization and six years of experience as described in "1" above; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and experience equivalent to "1", "2" or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State's department of education or recognized accrediting organization and must possess at least three years of experience as described in "1" above, including the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in
Qualification Requirements (continued)
NOTE: The following types of experience are not acceptable: superficial use of preprogrammed software without complex programming, design, implementation or management of the product; use of word processing packages; use of a hand held calculator; primarily the entering or updating of data in a system; the operation of data processing hardware or consoles.
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to helping connect New Yorkers to services.
- Ability to think strategically and contribute to long-term planning.
- Eagerness to learn, ask questions and problem solve in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible and demonstrated ability to take on varied assignments and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot IT issues effectively, thinking creatively
- Experience with NYC IT systems or IT procurement and support a plus.
- Experience working with data in community, issue, labor, or political organizing
- Ability to effectively present information in verbal, written and visual formats to
program management, program leadership and non-technical audiences.
- Understanding of mobile devices in professional environments and need to
support users in the field.
- Supervisory experience, at least 2 years preferred.
- Ability support both Mac and PC equipment, software and operating systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
New York City Residency is not required for this position
Salary Range: $54,643 - $80,000 (Annual)
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov and search for Job ID #282228 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW.
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.