Title: Research, Policy and Evaluation Assistant
Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx NY 10452
Reports to: Director of Research, Policy and Evaluation
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
WHEDco’s Research, Policy and Evaluation Department provides research support for WHEDco’s work, including exploring trends in our programs and in our community in order to support the organization’s efforts in innovative and responsive program design, determining the impacts WHEDco’s programs have on participants and the community, and providing data and information for key stakeholders.
The Research, Policy and Evaluation Assistant will work with the Director of Research, Policy and Evaluation to assist with research projects.
- Assist with collecting qualitative data
- Transcribe interviews and focus groups
- Assist with data entry as necessary across programs
- Prepare data for quantitative analysis and carry out basic quantitative analyses
- Prepare literature reviews
- Assist with research projects as needed
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (such as Public Policy, Sociology, Social Work, Economics, Urban Studies/Affairs)
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research
- Possess skills to conduct or assist in collecting qualitative data including active listener, willingness to talk to unfamiliar people, keen observer, understanding and non-judgmental
- High level of computer proficiency
- Advanced Microsoft Word, and Excel skills required
- Ability to quickly learn internal relational database
- Familiarity with either SPSS, SAS, or Stata useful
- Comfortable working with basic quantitative data
- Detail-oriented, with high standards of performance, including ability to accurately obtain, clean, and maintain qualitative and quantitative data
- Strong time management and organizational skills with proven ability to complete work in a timely fashion on both short-term and long-term projects and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work alone/independently and as part of a team
- Ability to follow general instructions and ask informed questions
- Willingness to learn, develop skills, and build knowledge of WHEDco’s work
- Commitment to WHEDco’s mission
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Collaborative, congenial person who wants to be help be part of an enjoyable work environment and small team
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.