Position Location: Brooklyn, NY
About the Position
Are you oriented towards problem solving and finding a smart path forward? Do you thrive on keeping a busy office moving efficiently? Do you love juggling a variety of tasks and types of work, without letting anything drop? Do you care about helping immigrants, communities of color, low-wage workers and other constituencies win tangible improvements in their lives?
We’re seeking a full-time Office Manager committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle complex competing priorities with a portfolio including, records and reports, liaison work with key allies and partners, , and office coordination/support.
This position will work closely with a range of individuals within and outside of the organization to coordinate projects and initiatives. He or she must demonstrate effective and efficient project management, and must be capable of exercising initiative, discretion and good judgment.
This position will also serve as a receptionist and office manager, as well as the point of contact for the landlord and key facilities and technology vendors.
About CPD + CPD Action
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 42 partner organizations in 30 states to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that offers an exciting opportunity to drive ambitious policy campaigns and partner with community-based organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
- Provide operations oversight and support to the Bushwick office including but not limited to:
- Serving as the point of contact for the landlord and building staff
- Receiving mail and packages
- Coordinating staff events, birthdays, gatherings
- Ordering and stocking supplies as needed
- Serving as receptionist by answering phones and greeting visitors to the office.
- Reconciling credit cards
- Assisting with onboarding new employees, and training new staff on various systems.
- Adapt an all hands on deck approach and taking over other tasks as needed
In this role, organization, people skills, and writing ability are paramount.
You should have:
- Effective communication skills. The ability to clearly communicate clearly with staff is paramount; especially in fast-paced moments, you’ll need to be clear and ask for clarity in return.
- Top-notch organization skills. If the books on your bookshelf are in alphabetical order, your notes utilize colors with specific meanings, and you find long to-do lists energizing, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role, and nothing can fall through the cracks. Meeting deadlines is key.
- A sense of ownership. A successful candidate will be responsive but also proactive. Importantly, you’re able to work calmly and intentionally under pressure.
- A commitment to confidentiality. In this role, you’ll have a window into movement and organizational politics– confidentiality is key.
- Strong writing and verbal skills. The ability to communicate information clearly is fundamental to this role. You will be asked to draft documents, edit others, and communicate with a variety of internal and outside stakeholders.
- Customer Service Orientation. A successful candidate will demonstrate an awareness and willingness to respond to staff needs. They will warmly receive visitors to the office.
- Experience. Preferably 2-5 years in an administrative role in a non-profit organization. We will consider applicants who are new to the assistant role but demonstrate clear aptitude, as well as candidates who have extensive experience in providing this type of support.
Bonus qualifications, not required:
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience with Salesforce, Concur
We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible with a negotiable start date.
Please send your resume and cover letter through our hiring portal https://cpd.hiringthing.com/job/41223/office-manager
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.