Title: Neighborhood 360° Fellow Location:
Host Site: WHEDco, 50 E. 168th St. Bronx, N.Y.
Reports to: Jointly to NYC SBS and WHEDco’s Vice President, Community Development
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco was selected by the NYC Department of Small Business Services to host a Neighborhood 360° Fellow for 10 months starting June 2017! If you are a community organizer or planner, or know someone who might be interested, please apply for this paid NYC Fellowship, for placement at WHEDco, at www.nyc.gov/360fellows. Applications are due March 12, 2017. For FULL requirements, visit www.nyc.gov/360fellows or email Ndevelop@sbs.nyc.gov. The Fellow will be paid and employed by NYC SBS and hosted by WHEDco.
WHEDco Project Summary:
The Fellow will focus primarily on addressing key findings and commercial revitalization opportunities identified in the Jerome Avenue Commercial District Needs Assessment.
Bronx Neighborhood(s) Served:
Highbridge/Concourse (Jerome Avenue) and Crotona Park East/Morrisania (Southern Boulevard)
• Implement corridor improvements;
• Facilitate business support and retention (e.g. connecting merchants to resources and providing business support);
• Contribute to cultural activities; and responding to community needs (e.g. assessing and responding to needs for retail and quality of life improvements);
• Serve as an on-the-ground resource, connecting and engaging local merchants and residents throughout the rezoning process, and will gain a robust understanding of the City’s rezoning process;
• Secondary to the Jerome Avenue project, support WHEDco’s participation in the NYC Department of City Planning's Southern Boulevard Neighborhood Study by engaging local stakeholders in the planning process and starting to address key challenges along the corridor.
• Additional activities may include: retail recruitment and community planning.
• New York City residency
• 1 or more year(s) of community outreach, organizing and/or planning experience
• Familiarity with Bronx neighborhoods served • Collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills • Comfortable working independently in the field and engaging diverse contacts • Available for events and/or meetings in the evenings and on weekends, as necessary
• Graphic design and/or GIS skills a plus
• High level of proficiency in Spanish (spoken); other languages a plus
SBS Neighborhood Fellow: Information Sessions:
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session where staff will provide a comprehensive overview of the program and walk through the application process.
IN-PERSON: Friday, February 24th: 2:30PM – 4:30PM. (RSVP) WEBINAR: Thursday, March 2nd: 1:00PM – 2:00PM (RSVP) WEBINAR: Wednesday, March 8th: 12:00PM – 1:00PM (RSVP)
Applications are due by March 12, 2017, at 11:59 p.m.
Apply Here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/sbs/html/neighborhood_development/neighborhood_360_fellows_app.shtm l