Manhattan Community Board Six (CB6) is a government agency of the City of New York. CB6 serves an advisory role in reviewing land use and zoning matters, the City Budget, municipal service delivery, liquor licenses, and other matters in Manhattan Community District Six (CD6), an area on the east side of Manhattan from 14th to 59th Streets, from the East River to Lexington Avenue, and extending west to Madison Avenue between 34th and 40th Streets. CB6 works closely with city agencies, elected officials, businesses, community groups, and community residents to ensure safety and quality of life for all who live, work, and visit the district. CB6 accomplishes this work through a volunteer board consisting of 50 appointed members who live or work in CD6. As CB6 must address a multitude of disparate issues, its work is delegated to its various committees, which each address specific topics of community concern. The work of the committees is taken up at a monthly meeting of the full Board, where the Board votes on the committees’ recommendations. The CB6 District Office, headed by the District Manager, assists the 50-member board in its duties and acts as the community’s and the Board’s liaison to the city government.
CB6 seeks a Communications Consultant to provide Communications services and other administrative support to the CB6 district office. The Communications Consultant will report directly to the District Manager or his designee, and will work approximately 30-40 hours per week (as necessitated by projects and office workload), until December 31, 2017.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Drafting a monthly newsletter
- Updating the CB6 website and social media accounts
- Working toward the resolution of constituent complaints/issues
- Providing administrative and clerical support
- Fielding phone calls and emails from city agencies, elected officials’ offices, and the public
- Occasionally attending meetings and taking/transcribing notes/minutes
- Assisting with the logistical and administrative preparation for meetings
All responsibilities and tasks must be performed in consultation and cooperation with the District Manager.
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Baccalaureate degree
- Excellent writing ability
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- Computer and web skills
- Ability to work independently while remaining self-motivated, meticulous, and organized
- Comfortable handling multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Excellent customer service skills on the phone, by email, and in person
- An ability to think about and solve problems creatively
- Being able to find out the answer to something you don't know
- Understanding of, and strong interest in, city government and its functions.
- General familiarity with the issues facing communities within the boundaries of CD6
- Proficiency using WordPress and MailChimp is a plus.
- InDesign or other design experience for making flyers is a plus, but not required.
- Flexibility and ability to work during regular business hours.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “CB6 Communications Consultant” in the subject line. Only candidates being considered will be contacted
Manhattan Community Board Six is committed to engaging a diverse workforce. People of color, women, LGBT people, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.