NYCEDC's vision and mission: Our vision is to make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and businesses. Our mission is to make investments in strengthening neighborhoods and spurring the creation of good jobs.
NYCEDC's Strategy Department: The Strategy department is a ten-member team that works to further the organization's and City Hall's objectives by vetting new projects, developing strategies to solve problems, and creating plans for EDC priorities. Additionally, we manage a retainer of strategy and topic area consultants for our projects, other EDC departments, and city agencies. Our projects typically fall into one of the three categories described below:
- New interventions: The team tests an idea or economic development concept in order to test its viability to become a full project (e.g., identifying an economic development vision for an underutilized property owned by the City)
- Strategy development: The team aims to solve a problem or answer a question identified by EDC, City Hall or other government agencies. We use hypothesis driven analysis and research to formulate data-driven and practical recommendations. (e.g. a strategy to implement the Mayor's commitment to creating affordable artist workspaces or a new approach to manage a set of Citywide assets)
- Planning: In these projects, the team plan and creates narratives for EDC's broader strategy as well as individual projects and initiatives. The team also creates tools and resources to improve operational efficiency around the organization and City. (e.g., contributing to Citywide plans on housing, career pathways and OneNYC)
We are looking for an Assistant Vice President who can:
- Manage project teams of strategy consultants and other stakeholders to deliver client-ready, data driven solutions to complex problems
- Develop and guide the creation of project work plans, including project scope, timelines, specific analyses to be completed, and individual responsibilities for team members.
- Manage projects to tight timelines and prioritize effectively on an ongoing basis
- Create and deliver PowerPoint presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners) and support the development of such materials by other team members
- Build relationships that support the team's objectives and outcomes
- Build and maintain relationships across the organization and other city agencies
- Work with senior level clients at EDC and City Hall to present recommendations and provide strategic guidance
- Provide direction in development of policy recommendations.
- Communicate in a way that is sensitive to different audiences and present information and recommendations in a clear, concise manner
- Understand and invest in learning context surrounding City government and relationships
- Provide direction and management to project teams, as well as mentorship and coaching to Strategy team members
- Oversee project teams, as they conduct independent research and expert interviews, data gathering and analysis, and financial modeling.
- Provide overall guidance and management in professional development to junior staff
- Lead and design agendas and materials for internal team meetings and team activities
- Energetic, pro-active, collaborative and strategic
- Leadership ability, including interpersonal, communication and public speaking skills
- Enjoy managing people, including providing professional development guidance
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 3 years of strategy work experience in a demanding analytical environment (e.g. management consulting, internal strategy department)
- Minimum 4-5 years of total work experience
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, real estate, and/or public policy issues a plus
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City's primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC's mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City's competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City's many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees' talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone's contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York