Website NYC Department of Consumer Affairs
Civil Service Title: COMMUNITY COORDINATOR
Title Code No: 56058
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Office Title: Strategic Initiatives Coordinator
Work Location: 42 Broadway, New York, NY
Division/Work Unit: Office of Financial Empowerment
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 291963
Hours/Shift: 9:00AM – 5:00PM
The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) protects and enhances the daily economic lives of New Yorkers to create thriving communities. DCA licenses more than 81,000 businesses in more than 50 industries and enforces key consumer protection, licensing, and workplace laws that apply to countless more. By supporting businesses through equitable enforcement and access to resources and, by helping to resolve complaints, DCA protects the marketplace from predatory practices and strives to create a culture of compliance. Through its community outreach and the work of its offices of Financial Empowerment and Labor Policy & Standards, DCA empowers consumers and working families by providing the tools and resources they need to be educated consumers and to achieve financial health and work-life balance. DCA also conducts research and advocates for public policy that furthers its work to support New York City’s communities. For more information about DCA and its work, call 311 or visit DCA at nyc.gov/dca or on its social media sites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
At the center of the fight to reduce income inequality and expand economic opportunity, DCA’s Office of Financial Empowerment (OFE) works to support New Yorkers and communities with low incomes in building wealth and improving financial capabilities. OFE is the first local government initiative in the country with the mission to educate, empower and protect New Yorkers and neighborhoods with low incomes so they can build assets and make the most of their financial resources. OFE uses the tools of research, programs and services, financial products, partnerships, policy, and convenings to advance its mission.
OFE is seeking an entrepreneurial, driven, innovative and highly-organized Strategic Initiatives Coordinator to work in close collaboration with the OFE Executive Team. The Strategic Initiatives Coordinator should have strong project management and excellent written and oral communication skills to support the strategic implementation and communication of OFE programs and initiatives and to assist with proposal and report writing and external communications to various stakeholders.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Deputy Commissioner of OFE and the OFE Executive Team to promote OFE’s work externally;
- Draft strategic communications to update external stakeholders on OFE’s work and build awareness about issues impacting the field of financial empowerment and the financial health of New Yorkers;
- Draft, proofread and/or edit a range of materials, including but not limited to grant proposals, publications, reports, program documents, policy memos, presentations, and press releases;
- Act as the OFE liaison to DCA Communications & Marketing on the development and marketing of financial empowerment programs and campaigns, external facing programmatic materials and publications, and management of website content;
- Represent OFE at outreach events as appropriate and help to plan, organize and execute various events including meetings, conferences and convenings;
- Lead the re-establishment of and help manage an OFE Advisory Board;
- Manage OFE’s involvement in internal and external collaborations and special initiatives; and
- Build and maintain relationships with City agencies, community based organizations, and other external stakeholders as needed.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
PLEASE NOTE: New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills;
- Effective project manager with the proven ability to successfully guide and manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously and to organize and drive projects to timely completion;
- Highly organized with strong follow-through and an acute attention to detail;
- An enthusiastic and positive individual with good interpersonal skills and a passion for supporting people with low incomes to build greater self-sufficiency;
- Ability to work quickly under pressure and strict deadlines while still ensuring a high quality work product;
- Experience and proven ability to cultivate partnerships with diverse stakeholders;
- Ability and willingness to take initiative and work collaboratively;
- Outstanding analytic, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
For Non-City/External Candidates: Visit the External Applicant NYC Careers site and search by Job ID number.
For Current City Employees: Visit Employee Self Service (ESS) to view and click on Recruiting Activities, Careers, and search by Job ID number.
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED.
PLEASE INDICATE IN YOUR COVER LETTER HOW YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS POSITION.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES, E-MAILS OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.