Website NYC Department of Consumer Affairs
City of New York
Job Vacancy Notice
Civil Service Title: COMMUNITY ASSOCIATE
Title Code No: 56057
Salary: Commensurate with Experience Office Title: Program Officer, Community Wealth Building
Work Location: 42 Broadway, New York, NY
Division/Work Unit: Office of Financial Empowerment
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 290807
Hours/Shift: 9:00AM – 5:00PM
The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) protects and enhances the daily economic lives of New Yorkers to create thriving communities. DCA licenses more than 81,000 businesses in more than 50 industries and enforces key consumer protection, licensing, and workplace laws that apply to countless more. By supporting businesses through equitable enforcement and access to resources and, by helping to resolve complaints, DCA protects the marketplace from predatory practices and strives to create a culture of compliance. Through its community outreach and the work of its offices of Financial Empowerment and Labor Policy & Standards, DCA empowers consumers and working families by providing the tools and resources they need to be educated consumers and to achieve financial health and work-life balance. DCA also conducts research and advocates for public policy that furthers its work to support New York City’s communities. For more information about DCA and its work, call 311 or visit DCA at nyc.gov/dca or on its social media sites, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
At the center of the fight to reduce income inequality and expand economic opportunity, DCA’s Office of Financial Empowerment (OFE) works to support New Yorkers and communities with low incomes in building wealth and improving financial capabilities. OFE is the first local government initiative in the country with the mission to educate, empower and protect New Yorkers and neighborhoods with low incomes so they can build assets and make the most of their financial resources. OFE uses the tools of research, programs and services, financial products, partnerships, policy, and convenings to advance its mission.
OFE is seeking a highly organized and driven Program Officer to support the development and implementation of OFE’s portfolio of work focused on Community Wealth Building and Neighborhood Financial Health. Reporting to the Senior Program Officer for Community Wealth Building, the Program Officer should have strong organizational, research, outreach, and communication (written and oral) skills to support the implementation, oversight, and communication of OFE programs and initiatives.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
· Assist with the implementation of OFE’s Community Wealth Building initiatives, including the Neighborhood Financial Health program;
· Research, monitor and track Community Wealth Building programs and policies being implemented in other cities nationally and globally;
· Conduct and assist with research projects related to the impact of Community Wealth Building institutions and strategies on New Yorkers with low- and moderate-incomes;
· Build and maintain relationships with community based organizations and support outreach efforts that engage organizations and residents in future neighborhood financial health programs, including facilitating outreach events and community workshops; and
· Support the Senior Program Officer for Community Wealth Building to track work plans, timelines, milestones, deliverables, and follow-up items to ensure deadlines are met and tasks are completed in a timely manner.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
PLEASE NOTE: New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
· Experience in community and economic development and community wealth building;
· Experience in cultivating partnerships with diverse stakeholders including local businesses, advocacy organizations, think tanks, community groups, etc.;
· Experience with cooperative businesses development and/or economic development policy;
· Highly organized with a strong attention to detail;
· Ability to work on multiple projects, sometimes quickly and under strict deadlines;
· Ability and willingness to take initiative and work collaboratively;
· Outstanding analytic, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills;
· Experience with event organizing and logistics;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Ability to leverage data to support programs;
· An enthusiastic and positive individual with good interpersonal skills and a passion for supporting people with low incomes to build greater self-sufficiency; and
· Proficient in PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and Outlook.
For Non-City/External Candidates: Visit the External Applicant NYC Careers site and search by Job ID number.
For Current City Employees: Visit Employee Self Service (ESS) to view and click on Recruiting Activities, Careers, and search by Job ID number.
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED.
PLEASE INDICATE IN YOUR COVER LETTER HOW YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS POSITION.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES, E-MAILS OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.