GrowNYC is a non-profit with a forty-five year history of improving the environment in New York City. GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Programs, funded by the NYC Department of Sanitation, were created in 2006 to provide outreach and education on a wide range of waste prevention, reuse, and recycling initiatives. In 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program began collecting food scraps for composting at several Greenmarkets, and has since expanded to operate 60 food scrap drop-off locations throughout NYC, diverting over 25 tons of food scraps from landfills each week.
The Compost & Textile Driver is responsible for hauling food scrap bins and textile bags collected at Food Scrap Drop-off Sites (FSDOs) to local community compost sites. Empty receptacles and supplies are delivered to FSDOs in the morning and full receptacles are picked up in the afternoon and delivered to various facilities in New York City.
- Deliver empty bins, tables, tents, and supplies to multiple food scrap collection sites by 7:30 AM.
- Pickup full food scrap bins from collection sites according to schedule and deliver to compost sites.
- Record number and weight of full compost bins from each collection site.
- Submit recorded data to Compost Program Manager via online forms within 48 hours of each shift.
- Clean box truck as necessary and park in secured parking facility or in accordance with local parking laws.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- Experience driving in NYC and knowledge of New York City streets and highways.
- Strong organization, time management, and communication skills.
- Willingness to travel throughout the five boroughs of New York City.
- Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Weekend availability is required.
The Compost and Textile Driver position pays $20/hr, is part-time, and includes only statutory benefits. Currently available shifts are Saturdays and Thursdays in Brooklyn, totaling approximately 16 hours/week. For additional information, please see our website at www.GrowNYC.org. Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Compost Driver” in the subject line.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.