Website Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: At least five to seven years demonstrated success in writing proposals and reports to government agencies, foundations, and corporations. Record of achievement in securing program-specific and unrestricted funds from government agencies and foundations. Familiarity with government contracting process and various funding streams (federal, state, and city).
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Grants Manager will be instrumental in all aspects of institutional fundraising including: identifying and researching prospective funders. The Grants Manager will also manage the complete grant cycle process: write high quality grant applications and proposals including budgets and prepare other materials as needed: reports, letters of intent, program briefs, etc.; manage submission process and follow-up. The Grants Manager will also review government requests for proposals (RFPs) for possible application by BBBS of NYC.
- Enthusiastic, with an understanding of and commitment to the mission of BBBS of NYC.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team to complete assignments.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize work and be attentive to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Reliable, flexible, with sound judgment and good teamwork skills.
- Thorough and alert in order to meet high standards for accuracy.
- Discriminating in exercising judgment with regard to confidential information.
- Excellent organizational and research skills are essential. Must possess solid writing, editing, and proofreading skills to ensure the submission of professional, quality proposals and reports.
- Ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience and voice of the piece.
- A professional self-starter with a ‘can do’ attitude, energetic, and hard-working.
- Ability to handle multiple proposals simultaneously under tight deadlines and fast-paced environment.
- Is an excellent writer and relationship builder and can identify and speak to funder interests.
- Demonstrates strong project management skills and the capacity to both plan work in advance and respond to timely new opportunities that may arise.
- Superior writing and prospect research skills, with a proven track record of success.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to work efficiently and effectively in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of the New York City philanthropic community.
- Excellent computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge database is preferred
- Identify and research new government grant opportunities and foundation prospects.
- Retain and grow existing portfolio of foundation and government partnerships; steward and solicit prospects to secure new funding.
- Stay informed of current issues in mentoring, youth services and funding.
- Develop a good working understanding of various BBBS of NYC program areas and their goals.
- Write, research, draft, edit, track, proposals as per their guidelines and deadlines.
- Supervise the Grants Associate
- Oversee preparation of supporting documents for grant applications and ensure team has compiled application packages to include documents such as budget forms, budget justifications, job descriptions, and other required forms.
- Collaborate with team on government official, staff relations and City Council grant requests.
- Oversee acknowledgement and recognition of gifts.
- Tracking proposals and grant deadlines.
- Maintain database records in addition to thorough and complete files.
- Perform other duties as assigned.